Here are some ways to protect your property while you're away.
- Check to see if your local community has a house watch program. Also, notify the police and neighbors before you leave and provide a phone number where you can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Stop your mail, newspapers, and other deliveries.
- Transfer valuables and cash to a safe deposit box.
- Place radios and lights on timers throughout the house for a look.
- Turn down the volume on your telephone and answering machine so that they cannot be heard outside.
- Arrange to have a neighbor or friend mow the grass and check for deliveries in your absence. Having someone check your home occasionally could deter a thief.
- Provide your security system company with a vacation phone number or your neighbor's number.
- Close your blinds or curtains enough to prevent a direct view into your home.